Iowa Auto Insurance 101
Shopping for a Iowa Car Policy? Be Sure to Ask for the Following Discounts!
When you’re shopping for a new policy and comparing multiple insurance carriers, be sure to ask for the following discounts to get the lowest rate possible.
Here are some of the common discounts you might want to ask about (if they apply to you):
- Good Driver. Some companies reward drivers who have been accident or violation free for a number of years.
- Multiple Vehicle. Most companies offer this to customers who insure more than one vehicle with them.
- Driver Education/Young Driver Safety Course. Successful completion of an accredited course may help offset the higher cost of insuring a young driver.
- Good Student. High school and college students may earn a discount by maintaining a “B” average or better. 10
- Distant Student. If your child is a student at a school over 100 miles from your home and does not have a vehicle available for use, there may be a discount available to reflect the decreased possibility of a loss.
- Senior Citizen, Retired Driver. Sometimes this discount is based on having reached a certain age or it may be given upon attaining a designated age and no longer being a daily commuter. Additionally, Alaska law requires companies to give a discount to drivers over age 55 who voluntarily complete a motor vehicle accident prevention course approved by the Department of Administration.
- Safety Devices/Anti-Theft Devices. If you provided the vehicle identification number, it is likely that items such as airbags, automatic seat belts, and anti-lock brakes were identified at that time. But there may be additional discounts available for alarm systems or other safety features.
- Homeowners Discount, Multiple Policy Discount. You may receive a discount for owning your home, but will usually be required to provide proof of homeowners insurance as verification. If you have your homeowners or renters policy with the same company, you may qualify for an additional discount.
- Professional Discounts. You may qualify for discounts if you are member of a certain professional. For example, the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) has negotiated discounted car insurance rates for members who obtain policies through Geico. Unions can be a good source of car insurance as well. For example, the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) has negotiated discounted rates for its members with some major insurance carriers. Lastly, members of the military are often eligible for discounts.
At United Insurance Agencies, we have the Iowa Auto Insurance that’s right for you. Our agency represents many major companies while offering preferred rates and discounts for your auto and home. We pride ourselves on taking the time to get to know you and what your needs are. Call or email us for your free auto quote!
Cedar Rapids, Marion, Hiawatha, Toddville, Springville, Palo, Urbana, Alburnett, Central City, Center Point, Walford, Solon, Mt Vernon, Fairfax, Swisher, Shueyville, Prairieburg, Van Horne, Keystone, Norway, Waubeek, Whittier, Anamosa, Monticello, Coggon, Walker, Vinton, Shellsburg, Newhall, Stone City, Robins, Amana, Covington, Marengo and many more.